Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Working weekend

I was going to write a new post today and maybe I still will--but when I opened up the folder, I found this never published draft about a prodcutive Saturday a couple of weeks ago. Seems like I was doing pretty well, doesn't it?


March 22, 2014

Things go much better for me when I get up early. Yesterday, I was so good. I had to work (per usual)...a note on this. Pretty much always having things to do on the weekend is getting old. I'm not happy about it. I still like the job but I can tell this is going to be a problem. I'm going to have to draw the line more clearly and stop doing so much so that it's not expected of me. Anyway, in order to work this weekend, I knew I had to get out of the house. I was on the move before 9am. I rode my bike and found a good spot at one of my favorite coffee shops. I had coffee and breakfast and was semi-productive. The next stop was a shop to look for yarn. This is a shop that carries scraps and operates as a non-profit. One of my knitting friends helps operate it and I thought I'd check it out. Up the road I biked--there was actually a trail for about 80% of the ride, which was nice.

When I arrived at 11:30 it was closed. I figured I'd find another coffee shop nearby and squeeze in a little work. In fact there were no coffee shops in the immediate vicinity...but I found something a couple miles away. I jumped back on the bike and found my way there. I got a decent ride in since it was a little hilly. The new coffee place only had brewed coffee but I got a small, sat in the window, and did some more work.

I went back to the shop and didn't find any yarn, but it's an interesting place.

From there, I went to a third place. Not a coffee shop this time, but Union Market, which has coffee and much more. It's quite close to my house and usually not that crowded. It has some decent food options and an excellent coffee place. But by the time I got there, around 1:30, it was mobbed. Lots of families with little kids and big groups of young people. I had a really hard time finding a place to sit. I found free tables that had no chairs--and no one was willing to share. I was really hungry and had gotten some food, but there I was doing a huge circut of that vast place and finding no where to sit. I got mighty grumpy. Eventually I found a table, then I found a chair. I put them together and sat down and ate my lunch. And I kept working I was timing the work and total was about 4.5 hours. That's nuts. The total bike mileage was about 10! That surprised me. At least I was able to combine the two things I needed to do--get some exercise and do some work.

And my productivity didn't end there. When I got home, I started work knitting a hedgehoge for Pele's daughter. I've been meaning to knit her one for ages. I also did some laundry and some dishes. I made the bed. What a day. I'd say it was a total social bust, but when I was retrieving my bike at Union Market, I struck up a conversation about bikes with a fellow unlocking his bike. He had a girlfriend (he mentioned her in passing), but it was a good chat and I got home feeling happy and satisfied.

Grateful for: a satisfying life.


  1. Eh, I feel like I've worked part of most weekends my entire professional life. Usually at my convenience (early, late, either day, both days), which means it's easier. But I think weekend work is pretty common today for salaried people. It is what it is.

    1. Well, maybe it works for you, but working EVERY weekend does not work for me. I'm happy to do it when it's a real crunch, but I've been finding it demoralizing. I don't mind working late, but I really need a day or two totally clear of work if at all possible so I can feel refreshed and able to put in my best effort.


Anonymous comments will be rejected. You don't have to use your real name, just A name. No URL is required; enter your name and leave the 'url' line blank. Thank you.