Monday, November 02, 2009

Overall: good

Today is one of those days I would've liked to stay home. While I do have plenty of work to do, none of it is pressing. But, here I am at the office nevertheless. Why? Because I have no sick leave and I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow. Anyway. I am here and feeling a little sick to my stomach and tired and unfocused. Too bad because last week was a very good one at work but instead of sharp, I now feel dull.

On the bright side, I had a pretty good weekend. First, I had a happy hour on Friday. It didn't go at all as planned. I was hoping to have a chance to talk to work-friend, Nina, but other (much more annoying) workmate, Mandy, came along. Ok, whatever, we can all be pleasant. We went to a new bar that was Nina’s choice and it was packed, packed, packed. After about 15 minutes and no drink, I couldn't take it. I could find no where to stand without constantly having to get out of someone's way. Feeling a little claustrophobic, I made my apologies and left. I felt a little bad but I thought that I was not going to waste my time being somewhere I didn't like with people I wasn't crazy about.

I stopped in another bar down the street and had a so-so martini. and then I picked up some take-out Chinese food for dinner, so actually, the evening turned out rather well.

Saturday, I had soccer and a party. I did a lot of knitting in the morning and grocery shopping on the way home from the game. The game was ok. We tied, we had subs, so I wasn't completely spent by the end. Yet, I don't know how much I contribute to the team. I'm there, I try, that's about the extent of it.

The party was actually seeing a band in a bar. I knew a few people and talked to them. I watched the band upstairs for a bit but found them uninspiring. I went back downstairs and struck up a conversation with a woman wearing an interesting non-sexy costume. Then I met her friends--and who had I found? A bunch of mathematicians! They bought me a shot and I hung out with this friendly group for the rest of the night. Come to think of it, they bought me a beer later on too. I got a bit toasty.

And, again, there came a point when I knew it was time for me to go home. I said goodbye to my new friend and gave her my number (though I don't expect to hear from her). I hopped on the bus and paid with a dollar--didn't even attempt to put in the additional 35 cents, and the driver said nothing. Rode the bus the six blocks home and stayed up for a while longer watching a movie.

On Sunday, I didn't feel so great. I rarely have a hangover, but not never. My head didn't bother me so much as my stomach, but I didn't get sick and after an hour or so, I was ok. I did a bunch of knitting and some cooking. Around 4pm, I went out to see a "rough cut" screening of a film--but I'm sworn to secrecy about all details. What a shame! But when it comes out, I'll tell you all about it. It was a fun and interesting experience.

This week should be pretty good too. I have a few things planned but it shouldn’t be as busy as last week. And, heck, if I’m still feeling poorly after the doctor tomorrow, I’ll just go on home.

Grateful for: lots of interesting things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will be rejected. You don't have to use your real name, just A name. No URL is required; enter your name and leave the 'url' line blank. Thank you.