Sunday, June 24, 2007


I want to write a couple of posts that I haven't quite been able to muster up the energy to complete. The number one thing I want to do is to give the final summary of my jury duty experience. It's not so much that I think you, the readers, care, but I promised myself I'd do it and I haven't. Yet every time I sit down to write it, the energy drains and I distract myself with other things.

Today, I got around to writing up a couple of short movie reviews (click here to read them). It's something I always promise myself to do, to write impressions of films I watch, but I have a hard time getting around to it. Avoiding writing the one thing pushed me to do the other--that's something. I'm going to try and crank out the last jury duty post tonight and I'll put it up some time this week.

Tomorrow, I'm going to Baltimore to see my brother, B2, the one who lives in Israel (he's in town for business). Yesterday, I managed to find a dress to wear to my niece's wedding. The dress shopping was challenging because, to meet the Ultra-Orthodox dress code, it has to have a high neck, long sleeves and fall to at least mid-calf. I found a dress of the right length, and if I wear a long sleeve shirt under it, it meets the other requirements. I even found the right "under" shirt and Pele came over to check out the combo and it got her stamp of approval. So, I have my plane ticket, my outfit and I'm ready to go (at the end of July).

Not sure what B2 and I will do tomorrow, but we'll figure something out. Oddly, the guy I went out with on Friday grew up in the part of Baltimore where I'm meeting B2. The guy helped me figure out some kosher activities. His first idea was a hike, which I rejected on B2's behalf, but it was a good suggestion. I think a walk in a park might work, though.

I admit it, I'm stalling. I'll tell you something about my date. His blog name will be "Sailor," but he is not a sailor (as far as I know). We work together, but not in the same office or even on the same floor. We have occasional professional contact. I first met him via a mutual (work) friend. We'd only socialized outside of work one other time before Friday and that was a group event. We've had several friendly non-work phone conversations and chats in the office, so I knew we'd get along well (we did).

I've known Sailor for six months and he's made me nervous for at least five months. It was my nervousness that tipped me off to my crush. Nothing happened on our date to diminish my crush, though it is more reality based than before, which is good. He's not exactly as I imagined him--he's actually more likeable. At the end of the date, we had a mild disagreement about whether I should take a cab home (he wanted me to) or walk. I insisted on walking and he asked me to call when I got home, which I did. When I called, he apologized for being pushy about the cab. I like that he was concerned and I like that he respected my decision to walk home.

I'm not terribly worried about where things are going with Sailor, which puzzles me. Aren't I usually an anxious mess right about now when I get closer to someone I like? Don't I need to know immediately when I'll see him again? Or does that not happen until after the first physical contact? For now, we're still in the friends zone. Maybe that's where we'll stay, but I hope not. I was walking along today, remembering a bit of our conversation from Friday, and I sighed. In fact, almost every time I think about Sailor I sigh. That's right, I'm walking around, thinking about a boy and sighing.


Grateful for: hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will be rejected. You don't have to use your real name, just A name. No URL is required; enter your name and leave the 'url' line blank. Thank you.